Top 5 Genuine Local Food & Drink must eat and drink in Bali
Bali’s culinary scene is only as vibrant as its beach, mountain, hill landscapes and filled with colourful tastes, traditional customs, and stories. Although there are many excellent high-end restaurants in Bali, you’ll never fully experience Balinese cuisine before trying the classics, affordable but rich traditional food. Here is my selection of local foods and drinks must have in Bali from the best-hidden gem restaurants.
1. Bebek Betutu. This authentic Balinese cuisine is very famous, my number one list. The combination of Balinese spices and chilly taste make the dish very unique in its flavour and definitely will always favourable, you can have this extraordinary food from the best restaurant in Bali by taking this Airbnb food tour.
2. Babi Guling. My second list is babi guling (suckling roast pig). The pig is stuffed with traditional spices and recipe called genep and slow-roasted on an open fire until the skin is crispy and the meat succulent. Babi guling is usually carved into thin slices with the aromatic base chilly spicy giving a comprehensive earthy note balanced with the salty and savoury flavours of the pork. You can have this delicious traditional food while taking photoshoot for your social media content by taking this Airbnb experience.
3. Sate Babi (pork skewer) is basically pieces of grilled pork meat on skewers with tipat or ketupat (rice block/rice chunk). As one of Indonesia’s classics, sate can be found in fine dining restaurants or at street food vendors. Being a country with a diverse culture, almost every region has its own sate variant, and luckily Bali’s sate lilit is among the best in taste and popularity. The meat for sate lilit, usually pork, chicken, or fish, is minced, soaked with grated coconut, coconut milk, and other spices, then wrapped around the sticks before being grilled. While most Indonesian sates are served with a condiment, the additional sauce is optional for sate lilit, as it already has the delicious combination of spicy, sweet, and savoury taste, you can have this awesome traditional food by taking this experience on Airbnb.
4. Bubur Campur. Bubur campur is basically from bubur sum sum, a Balinese dessert made by cooking rice flour in coconut santan and served with traditional coconut sugar, sweet potato dumplings (biji salak), banana, red glutton rice and cooked until thickened. You can have the most delicious taste and sweet dessert in Denpasar Bali by taking this Airbnb experience.
5. Laklak or Serabi. Laklak or serabi sometimes called surabi is a traditional Balinese pancake, made from rice flour, round and flat in shape with a diameter of 3-5 cm for mini version and about 15 cm for the bigger version. One side is hard and the other side is soft. In general, there are two colors of Laklak cake, its white and light green. The green colour is mixed with pandan leaves. Laklak sometimes is served with grated coconut sprinkled on the surface of the snack, which is soft which is then doused with a slightly thick solution of brown or white sugar, then wrapped in banana leaves, you can have this awesome traditional food by taking this experience on Airbnb.
Now for the drinks, we selected the top 5 traditional drinks from the best restaurants in Bali
1. Es Daluman is based on Cincau. Cincau, or grass jelly, is a popular refreshing delicacy in Indonesia. Originally from China, this jelly has become one of the mainstays in Indonesia’s traditional drinks. You can find it almost everywhere in the country. In Bali, it is called Es Daluman. Of course, you will not only enjoy the grass jelly in that drink but also other ingredients such as santan (coconut milk), brown sugar or sometimes rosella corn syrup, and ice. One of the most features of grass jelly is its dark green colour. Es Daluman is also the same. Using cincau as the main ingredient, this icy drink is very popular in Bali. Here is all you need to know about Es Daluman. You can have this extraordinary traditional drink from the best restaurant in Bali by taking this Airbnb food tour.
2. Loloh cemcem. While jamu is known for its strong and bitter taste, loloh cemcem is more gentle on the pallet. The refreshing potion combines a blend of sour, salty, spicy and sweet flavours, and is surprisingly tasty. As the name suggests, the main ingredient of the beverage is cemcem (or hog plum leaves), which are often blended with jarak and betel leaves, as well as a variety of fruit and spices there's bottled version also. You can have this delicious traditional beverage while taking photoshoot for your social media content by taking this Airbnb experience.
3. Es Kuwut. Es Kuwut is made from the young coconut fruit, coconut water, melon, selasih (basil dry), lime, and lychee syrup. This traditional drink is so fresh and great to have when in humid or hot sunny day. You can have this delicious traditional beverage while taking photoshoot for your social media content by taking this Airbnb experience.
4. Tuak Bali. Tuak Bali is made by fermented palm wine light alcohol base is legen made from palm tree fruits (kolang-kaling tree, nira/siwalan tree sap lontar fruit ). Tuak is imbibed in Sumatra, Sulawesi, Kalimantan and Bali of Indonesia. The beverage is a popular drink among the Balinese for festivals, weddings, hosting of guests and other special occasions during an integral part of daily Balinese life, there is a plastic bottled version also. You can have this delicious traditional beverage while taking photoshoot for your social media content by taking this Airbnb experience.
5. Arak and Brem. Arak is a Balinese gluttonous white rice base alcohol drink. While brem is made from black gluttonous rice, so the colour is dark red. Arak and brem made by fermenting rice only. Arak or brem can contain alcohol from 5% to over 50%. The beverage is also a popular drink among the Balinese for festivals, weddings, hosting of guests and other special occasions during an integral part of daily Balinese life. You can have this delicious traditional beverage while taking photoshoot for your social media content by taking this Airbnb experience.
Arak from gluttonous fermented white rice
Brem from gluttonous fermented black rice
4. Stop Motion Animation Class for Beginner